This is a bittersweet announcement that Discorder‘s Under Review Editor, Max Anderson-Baier, is stepping back from editing to focus on his own writing — bitter because we’ll miss him dearly, but sweet because it means that you could be our next Under Review Editor!
Want to know more? Read the full description below, and feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Deadline to apply is Monday, April 30 at 5PM.
CiTR 101.9FM / Discorder Magazine is seeking a Volunteer Under Review Editor*
CiTR 101.9 FM is a student-driven campus and community radio station based on the traditional, unceded territory of the Musqueam people at the University of British Columbia. It began as a student club in 1937, gaining not-for-profit status and an FM frequency in 1982. Discorder Magazine, founded in 1983, is CiTR’s independent music, art and current affairs publication, covering local artists and community organizers, and providing valuable publishing experience to contributing writers, illustrators and photographers. Under Review is one of Discorder’s most popular sections, and acts as a training ground for new writers. As a pillar of the magazine since its creation, Under Review has always been radical and subversive in the content it chooses to review, which is curated by the Under Review Editor.
Volunteer Position Description:
As Discorder Magazine’s Under Review Editor, your position involves coordinating and assigning reviews of select new music, podcasts, books and films for the print magazine and citr.ca/discorder.ca. You will liaise with fellow masthead (Editor-In-Chief, Art Director, Real Live Action Editor, Web Editor), CiTR’s Music Department, and music labels and publishers to source review material that highlights local and Canadian content outside of the mainstream. As a section editor, you will develop pitch lists for writers, assign reviews, set deadlines, and provide edits, comments and suggestions to bring each piece of writing to a print-ready state. At the end of each month, you will submit a selection of reviews to be published as the Under Review section in the following issue of Discorder.
*The Under Review Editor will be given an honorarium of $420 per issue of Discorder (10 issues/year)
- Experience with writing, copy editing and proofreading
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and set deadlines for others
- Ability to maintain an organized inbox and Google Drive
- Experience with or strong willingness to work with and motivate diverse groups of volunteers
- Excellent knowledge and appreciation of Vancouver’s diverse music communities, and an interest in discovering new music, podcasts, books and independent film locally and from across Canada
- Basic understanding or willingness to learn WordPress
- Passion for independent and community-focused media
- Maintain relationships with musicians, labels, publicists and publishers to gain access to upcoming releases
- Check the Under Review mailbox in the Media Lab / Discorder Office at CiTR on a semi-frequent basis
- Create and update lists of albums, podcasts, books and films eligible for review in print and online, and share those lists to Discorder contributors throughout the month. Ensure that the list reflects the interests and mandate of CiTR / Discorder
- Assign reviews and set deadlines. Ensure that Discorder’s Writing Style Guide is shared with all new writers
- Provide edits, comments and suggestions on submitted reviews, and provide feedback to writers
- Assist the fellow Discorder masthead with production duties as needed for the magazine and website, which includes attending two Discorder contributor meetings per month
- Curate a list of completed reviews for publication in Discorder Magazine and submit to the Editor-In-Chief near the end of every month
- Publish finished reviews on citr.ca / discorder.ca throughout the month
- Participate in discussions around the strategy of the magazine, and support Discorder events and initiatives
Commitment & Accountability:
The Under Review Editor commits to 25-30 hours each month. Since this is a leadership position, we ask that the Under Review Editor stays in this position for one year, or 10 issues, though we recognize that this isn’t always possible. In addition to maintaining regular email correspondence with masthead and contributors, the Under Review Editor is required to attend monthly Discorder meetings, which include proofing parties and contributor meetings either at UBC or off campus. The Under Review Editor will report directly to Discorder’s Editor-In-Chief, and will work with other members of the CiTR / Discorder team as relevant to the production of the magazine.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter and resume in a single pdf to Discorder Editor-In-Chief, Brit Bachmann (email@example.com) with the subject line “UR Editor Resume.” All applications must be received by Monday, April 30 at 5PM. Interviews will take place that week, and the Under Review Editor is expected to begin asap, following a training session with the current Under Review Editor, Max Anderson-Baier.