CiTR 101.9 FM is the broadcasting voice of the University of British Columbia, beginning as a student club in 1937, and gaining not-for-profit status and a place on the FM dial in 1982. CiTR offers students and community members a variety of services which include broadcast and multimedia training, promotional support, live on location coverage of events and much more. Since 1983 CiTR has also published Discorder Magazine, providing unparalleled monthly coverage of Vancouver’s local music community, arts scene and political current affairs while providing a space for students and community members to be trained in written journalism, photography, illustration and other aspects of publishing.
The Technical Coordinator will be responsible for supporting CiTR and Discorder’s technical systems and coordinating both software and hardware needs for the station.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the technical needs of CiTR’s 90+ programmers
- Support the technical needs of live broadcasts at community events and festivals
- Maintain and improve CiTR’s computer networks and systems
- Assist the Program Director in training CiTR programmers to use our systems
- Assist with the maintenance of studios and equipment
- Research the accessibility of our current software and systems
- Maintain and update CiTR’s website, and troubleshoot our live streaming and podcasting services
- Maintain CiTR’s computer hardware, software, networks and systems, and troubleshoot all related issues
- Strategize and research ways to improve CiTR’s online delivery, analyze website traffic and brainstorm new media applications
The ideal candidate will be motivated, creative and efficient, with great problem solving skills. They will have skills and experience in computer science, computer programming, databases and web design, with an interest in broadcasting, sound equipment and new media. Proven ability to work with diverse communities of students is an asset.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
HOURS: This position is for 10 hours per week, for a total of 250 hours.
START DATE: September 10, 2018 END DATE: April 29, 2019
The Student Radio Society of the University of British Columbia is an equal opportunity employer that encourages applicants from underrepresented groups. This position is funded by UBC’s Work Learn program. To be eligible, candidates must be registered in courses at UBC in winter and spring terms, and have a valid UBC student number.
Visiting students are not eligible.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Ana Rose Carrico, CiTR Station Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications is Sunday August 19, 2018