Illustration by Graeme Zirk for Discorder Magazine.
CiTR and Discorder are looking for a volunteer Discorder Web Editor. The full volunteer job description is below, and available for download here. If you’re interested, the application deadline is Sunday, January 21, 2018. Questions? Please contact Eleanor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Position Description:
As the Web Editor for CiTR/Discorder, this position involves liaising with the Discorder masthead to coordinate, assign and edit Web Exclusives for citr.ca/discorder.ca. This position also involves uploading and formatting Web Exclusives on our WordPress website, and summarizing uploaded content into a monthly newsletter called “The Discorder In-Between.” You will coordinate with Discorder’s Editor-In-Chief and section editors, the Art Coordinator, and the Social Media/Online Communications Coordinator to work on content that reinforces the mandate of CiTR/Discorder online. The Web Editor will ensure that content is created consistently throughout the year.
- Strong writing skills, copyediting or editing experience preferred
- Organization and effective time-management, an ability to set and keep deadlines
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, a willingness to work with contributors of different skill levels
- Basic knowledge of WordPress, or the ability to learn
- Basic knowledge of HTML tags to format content for web, or the ability to learn
- Passion for independent and community-focused art, culture and current affairs
- Monitoring email inbox, local event listings and press releases for relevant online content
- Assigning Web Exclusives to writers, setting deadlines for completion, and providing edits
- Keeping an up-to-date schedule of upcoming Web Exclusives, a minimum of three articles posted per month
- Posting Web Exclusives to citr.ca/discorder.ca, and reviews or blog posts when applicable
- Organizing and sending out a monthly email newsletter between the 15th and 21st of every month
- Reporting all website issues to CiTR/Discorder’s in-house technical staff
- Attending all Discorder contributor meetings, averaging two meetings per month
- Bi-weekly check-in with Discorder’s Editor-In-Chief, phone/online check-in preferred
- This position requires 12-18 hours each month with a minimum commitment of 4-6 months. The Web Editor has the flexibility to determine their own schedule. This position can be done remotely, except for mandatory attendance at Discorder contributor meetings.
- The Web Editor will report directly to Discorder’s Editor-in-Chief, and will liaise with the Art Coordinator and the Social Media/Online Communications Coordinator. The Web Editor is expected to have bi-weekly check-ins with Discorder’s Editor-In-Chief, which can be done remotely.
- Gaining experience within an independent media organization
- Managing web content with a specific mandate
- Developing editing skills with a diverse group of contributors
- Access to all CiTR/Discorder training programs and workshops, including but not limited to technical radio training, interviewing and spoken word workshops, and guest lecture series
Please email a cover letter outlining your interest with a resume in one single pdf. file to Eleanor Wearing at email@example.com by Sunday, January 21, 2018.